⚡ Electrical Power and Energy: The Complete DIY Guide (Formulas, Real Examples & Battery Math)

Hey makers! Electro here. Why does your ESP32 battery die in one day? Why does a 100 W resistor get smoking hot while a 100 W LED bulb stays cool? Why does your electricity bill jump in winter? The answer to all of these is the same two concepts: electrical power and electrical energy. Today we're turning the boring textbook formulas into practical tools you'll use in every single DIY project — from sizing a power supply to estimating battery runtime and reading your electricity bill like an engineer.

🔄 Updated for 2026: real maker examples (ESP32, LED strips, amplifiers), battery Wh math, electricity bill calculations, and how to measure real consumption with an INA219 or an ESP32 energy monitor.

Electrical power and energy formulas explained: P=VI, P=I²R, P=V²/R, E=P×t and battery watt-hours

🔌 Electrical Power: The Three Formulas

When a direct current of I amperes is flowing in an electric circuit and the voltage across the circuit is V volts, then the power, in watts, is:

P = V × I

Combine it with Ohm's law (V = I×R) and you get the other two forms — three formulas, one physics. Pick whichever matches the two values you have on hand:

FormulaDerived by substitutingUse it when you know...
P = V × IDefinition of powerVoltage and current
P = I² × RV = I×RCurrent and resistance (cable & resistor heating!)
P = V² / RI = V/RVoltage and resistance (fixed-voltage rails)

🧮 Real Maker Examples

DeviceVoltageCurrentPower
ESP32 (WiFi on)3.3 V240 mA≈ 0.8 W
LED strip (1 m, 5050)12 V1.2 A14.4 W
Resistor 100 Ω @ 100 mA10 V0.1 AP = I²R = 1 W → use a 2 W part!
Car amplifier12 V15 A180 W
Kettle230 V8.7 A≈ 2000 W
Measuring real ESP32 power consumption with an INA219 sensor showing voltage, current and watts

🔋 Electrical Energy: Power × Time

Electrical energy = power × time (E = P × t). With power in watts and time in seconds, the unit of energy is the watt-second or joule: E = V×I×t joules. Power tells you how fast; energy tells you how much in total.

Although the unit of energy is the joule, when dealing with large amounts of energy the unit used is the kilowatt-hour (kWh) — the famous "unit of electricity" your home meter counts:

  • 1 kWh = 1000 watt-hours
  • 1 kWh = 1000 × 3600 watt-seconds = 3,600,000 J (3.6 MJ)

Bill example: a 2000 W heater running 3 h consumes 2 × 3 = 6 kWh. At €0.22/kWh, that's €1.32 per session. Now you can read your bill like an engineer!

🤖 The Maker Twist: Battery Capacity is Energy Too

Here's the formula every DIYer must know — battery capacity in watt-hours:

Wh = V × Ah

Example: a 12 V / 105 Ah battery stores 12 × 105 = 1260 Wh. Running a 60 W load: 1260 / 60 = 21 h theoretical — but lead-acid should never discharge below 50%, so plan for ≈ 10 h. This single calculation is the foundation of my camping-car solar guide and every UPS project on this blog.

And it explains why deep sleep matters: an ESP32 drops from 240 mA to ~10 µA in deep sleep — the same formula shows why your battery lasts months instead of days.

12V battery capacity in watt-hours: 12V × 105Ah = 1260Wh powering a 60W load for about 10 hours

📏 Measure, Don't Guess (Pro Method)

  • INA219 module: an I2C sensor that reads voltage, current and power directly — perfect with Arduino/ESP32.
  • Multimeter in series: quick and dirty current check on the 10 A range.
  • Then build my ESP32 Smart Energy Monitor to log kWh in real time.

💡 Pro Tips (by Electro)

  • Power supply headroom: size your PSU at 1.3× the calculated load (a 60 W project → 80-100 W PSU).
  • Resistor rating: always double the calculated dissipation (1 W calculated → 2 W part). Heat is the #1 killer of DIY boards.
  • P = I²R explains wiring fires: double the current = 4× the heat in cables. That's why a 15 A load needs thick wire, not speaker wire!
  • AC vs DC: P = V×I is exact for DC and resistive AC loads (heaters, incandescent). For motors and PSU loads, add the power factor: P = V×I×PF.

❓ FAQ

What's the difference between power and energy?

Power is the rate (watts) — like speed. Energy is the total (watt-hours or joules) — like distance. A 100 W bulb left on for 10 h uses 1 kWh.

Why three power formulae instead of one?

They're the same law rearranged with Ohm's law. Use P = I²R when current is known (cable heating), P = V²/R when voltage is fixed (choosing a resistor), and P = V×I for everything else.

How long will a 12 V battery run my fridge?

Wh = V×Ah, then divide by the average load. A 100 Ah battery (≈1200 Wh, 50% usable = 600 Wh) running a fridge averaging 50 W gives ≈ 12 h. See my camping-car solar guide for the full method.

🎯 Conclusion

Power and energy are not textbook abstractions — they're the two numbers behind every design decision you'll ever make: PSU sizing, battery runtime, cable thickness, resistor ratings, and your electricity bill. Master P = V×I and E = P×t, and you've just upgraded from copying circuits to truly engineering them.

What's the most surprising consumption you've ever measured on a project? Share it in the comments — I read every one!

📚 Related Guides on TechFix Hub

Bottom Ad [Post Page]